The History of Staveley
The village of Staveley is five miles from the market town of Kendal and is
in the Lake District National Park.
Staveley has a population of
about 1600 people. The parishes are Hugill, Nether Staveley and Over
Staveley. Each has it's own parish council and all were set up in 1894.
The different parish boundaries are shown where the River Kent and River
In 1988 a bypass was completed around the village, taking
the traffic away from the heart of the village.
The first people to
live in Staveley were farmers of the late Stone age, this was in about
Staveley Church of England Primary School
started in the year 1755, to quote the sign in the Assembly Hall, "To make
more useful the gift of 20 pounds a year left by George Jopson. This school
was begun by subscription and finished in 1755. Risit Apollo" This last
meaning "Apollo Smiles" in Latin. The provider for the new school, George
Jopson, was well known in the village of Staveley and the Kentmere Valley.
He knew the entire community's wishes and probably made a good guess at how
his money would be used. The school when on reasonably well until 1840, when
it was sold off and a new school built on the present site. The first ever
professional teacher was called Joseph Martindale, who straightened things
up a bit after a vicar from Kendal said of the school in 1860, "the school
move was simply a horror, it has a low ceiling, square room which is too
small for the number of children and is wretchedly furnished with a nasty
stove in the middle of one wall".
The new teacher Joseph Martindale, was a very just and fair teacher, once
he caned a boy for stealing some birds eggs from a nest. Now, in honour of
him the new library is named after him.
This page was written on February 24th
1998 by Julia Marston.
The following text is written by Sam Houghton.
Staveley is a little village in between Kendal and Windermere. It is a
quite a popular tourist destination due to its surroundings.
One of the
most popular areas close by is Kentmere which is a perfect place for walking
and mountain biking.
Also in Staveley there are several shops which sell
all the essentials, there is even a bicycle shop!
Before 1989 the village
was very busy due to the traffic going to and returning from the Lakes. But
now a by-pass has been built and the village is a much safer place to play
and walk because of the reduced amount of traffic. In the village there is a
church called St. James, and a war memorial. Also there there is a primary
school which has around 120 pupils, after you leave that school most pupils
come to the Lakes School.
Lakes School Home